Air Fryer Asparagus creates the best cooked asparagus in just minutes! This asparagus is perfectly tender on the inside and keeps a nice delicate crunch on the outside! It takes only minutes to prepare from start to finish and you can season it YOUR way!
This post may contain affiliate links to items I use in my recipes. Please read my disclosure.
How easy it is to make asparagus in the air fryer?
It’s ridiculously easy to make Asparagus in the air fryer! I get excited about it because I had no idea until I tried it and figured out the right way to make the asparagus perfect every time. I’m so excited to share this recipe with you!
First you will want to clean your asparagus and cut the white ends off of your asparagus stalks.
Then you will lightly oil and season your asparagus and then quickly cook your asparagus in the air fryer.
It’s that simple!
What does air fried asparagus taste like?
The asparagus tastes just like it does when you sauté the asparagus or boil it! BUT when using the air fryer, it’s much harder to overcook the asparagus and create mushy green sticks!
These asparagus spears are perfectly tender on the inside and lightly crisp on the outside, what I like to call “fork-tender”.
Ways to use Air Fried Asparagus:
There are a million ways to eat asparagus.
- As an appetizer along with Caprese Appetizer!
- In a breakfast frittata, omelette, or Swiss Asparagus Dutch Baby
- With your favorite pasta recipe, such as Easy Goat Cheese Spaghetti and Meatballs!
- In a delicious salad like the Spring Steak Salad with Chimichurri Dressing
- With your stir fry dishes, like Sweet Potato Stir Fry
- The most common way it is served….. as a delicious side dish!
Air Fryer Asparagus Ingredients:
- Olive Oil
- Asparagus spears
- seasoning of your choice
- +/- fresh lemon juice and Parmesan cheese
How to Prepare the Asparagus:
Wash the asparagus spears under cool running water from your kitchen faucet. Allow the water to run off the spears.
Cut the thick tough ends off of the asparagus spears. The white or brown end is what you will want to remove. The white stalk of the spear is very woody and tough and not pleasant to eat.
Now your asparagus is ready to cook!
How to make air fryer asparagus:
*scroll all the way down for the full detailed printable step by step directions and ingredient list!
- Clean your asparagus. Clean your asparagus spears by running them under cool water in your kitchen sink, taking off any debris from your spears. You can use a vegetable wash here if you have that on hand.
- Trim. Cut the white (or brown) thick stalky ends off of your asparagus spears with a sharp knife, leaving only the green spears, heads still attached.
- Drizzle. Place the cleaned and cut spears in the bottom of your air fryer and drizzle with 1 TBSP of olive oil. Using a basting brush (or a spoon if need be) spread the olive oil evenly over the asparagus.
- Fry. Sprinkle with your favorite seasonings and then air fry!
How long to cook your air fryer asparagus:
- Air fryer temperatures can vary depending on the make and model so I recommend that the first time that you try this recipe that you start out with less cook time, checking for doneness, and then adding more time as needed.
- Cook time will depend on how thick the asparagus spears are. Thinner stems will be done in 6-7 minutes, while thicker stems will need to cook for more like 8-10 minutes.
I don’t recommend going over 10 minutes in the air fryer.
I like my air fryer asparagus to have a little char, but if you roast it too long you will burn it and it may become too soft to the touch, so let’s not do that 🙂
So my recommendation for the first time trying this recipe that after the asparagus has cooked for 5 minutes, start to monitor it closely every 1-2 minutes or so.
What to top your asparagus with?
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Toasted pecans or walnuts
- Blue cheese crumbles
- A drizzle of sriracha sauce
- Soft melty butter and a pinch of salt!
Why use an air fryer?
My new obsession has definitely been my air fryer for the past few months!
Vegetables of all kind roasted in the oven are fantastic, however using an air fryer can dramatically cut down on the amount of oil you use while cooking AND cuts down on the amount of time spent cooking.
Cooking asparagus in the air fryer takes just minutes where roasting asparagus would normally take 20 minutes or so.
The 6 QT. air fryer is large enough to feed a family of 4 (or more), which I think is the perfect size.
No matter if I am cooking for my entire family or maybe that night where I am on my own for a quick dinner, the air fryer is perfect for it all; families or singles.
The cleanup on an air fryer is insanely easy. The air fryer basket that air fries the asparagus is dishwasher safe, so the one dish that dirties actually just gets tossed in the dishwasher. Cleanup is a breeze!
All our air fried vegetable side dishes are easy, with simple ingredients, and have wonderful roasted flavors. That’s why my family is so obsessed with cooking our vegetables, especially asparagus, in the air fryer.
The crispy yet tender flavors can’t be beat. This recipe guarantees that Air Fryer Roasted Asparagus will be your new favorite side dish!
Is air fryer asparagus healthy?
It sure is!
The air fryer uses much less oil than traditional methods of roasting asparagus.
Asparagus itself has many healthy benefits, such as:
- Low calorie. One cup has just 40 calories!
- High Fiber.
- High Folate.
- Great Vitamin Source. Asparagus is high in Vitamins A and C!
- Iron. This veggie is a great source of iron.
- Keto / Paleo / Gluten-Free / Whole30: This recipe can be created to fall under any of these categories!
What type of air fryer to use?
This air fryer is large enough to cook for those with big appetites or for families of four or more.
I’ve never had any issues with my OMORC air fryer that are common in air fryers, such as smoking while cooking (the smoke is more about controlling the grease splatter!).
It’s definitively an affordable option when comparing this air fryer to other brands out there and it’s got great reviews on Amazon.
What to pair with Air Fryer Asparagus
What is the best way to store the asparagus?
If you’re planning to cook your asparagus within 1-2 days, wrap the ends of the asparagus (do not trim ends!) in a wet paper towel and store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.
Want more air fryer recipes?
- Air Fryer Flounder Fish
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Air Fryer Fish Sticks
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer French Fries and Tater Tots
- Air Fryer Home-cut Potatoes
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 bundle of Asparagus spears
- seasoning of your choice
- Clean your asparagus spears by running them under cool water in your kitchen sink, taking off any debris from your spears. You can use a vegetable wash here if you have that on hand.
- Cut the white (or brown) thick stalky ends off of your asparagus spears with a sharp knife, leaving only the green spears, heads still attached.
- Place the cleaned and cut spears in the bottom of your air fryer and drizzle with 1 TBSP of olive oil. Using a basting brush (or a spoon if need be) spread the olive oil evenly over the asparagus.
- Sprinkle with your favorite seasonings and then air fry for 7-10 minutes at 380*F! Remove from heat and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 31Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 96mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
If you make my Air Fryer Asparagus, let me know in the comments! Enjoy enjoy enjoy!
Also- be sure to follow me on instagram and hashtag #BlessHerHeartYall or tag @BlessHerHeartYall – I love seeing and hearing the delicious things you make!
If you love this gluten free asparagus recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a mouth-watering post: