Sweet potato stir fry with chicken sausage slices are combined with fresh vegetables and a simple sweet and savory paleo stir fry sauce for one epically healthy 30 minute meal your family will ask for time and time again. It’s gluten free, paleo, and low carb too!
Ummm….. Excuse me?
How is it Friday already? Where did the week go?
Holy crap it’s Friday.
Okay, so now that I know what day it is let me go on and tell y’all about this dish that’s perfect for crazy weeks like this week has been.
I can’t stress this enough…
Use up your spare veggies in your fridge with this recipe. They will not disappoint you here.
When I made this sweet potato stir fry this last time you can see I had fresh broccoli, zucchini, a few carrot slices (don’t tell our horses that I took one of their carrots!) and green beans on hand but I have used bell peppers, mushrooms, and corn in the past with stellar results. Mmmmmmm.
Obvi one could not create sweet potato stir fry without sweet potatoes, but get creative with your other veggies y’all.
And now I have to be honest…. I’ve got something against sweet potatoes.
I’m not sure why but I hate sweet potatoes when they taste sweet. Not my thing. Like a little kid who’s not crazy about peas kind of thing. Not gonna happen. Not going in my mouth.
But then there’s something magical that happens when you mix sweet potatoes with savory ingredients.
…. it turns into something so delicious and tasty and addicting.
And that is exactly what happens in this stir fry recipe y’all.
The sweet potatoes and chicken sausages are cooked in a skillet with garlic and a bit of sesame oil.
Then the rest of the vegetables are added in and cooked in an asian-inspired stir fry sauce.
The sauce brings out hints of sweet from the honey and coconut sugar, a splash of refreshing lime, and of course a touch of earthy ginger.
The vegetables are sizzled in the sauce until they start to soak it up.
That’s when you know it’s go-time.
Sweet Potato Stir Fry + Chicken Sausage
- 3-4 chicken sausages sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes cubed
- 2 TBSP sesame oil
- 1/2 TBSP minced garlic
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- 1/2 medium onion sliced
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup broccoli florets chopped
Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 TBSP coconut sugar can use brown sugar
- 2 TBSP liquid aminos can use GF soy sauce
- 1.5 TBSP honey
- 1 TBSP rice vinegar
- 1.5 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- Place the sausage, sweet potato, minced garlic, 1 TBSP sesame oil, and black pepper in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir and cook until the sausage is fully cooked and the sweet potato is starting to soften, approximately 10-12 minutes. While cooking the sweet potatoes, mix together the sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Add in the zucchini, green beans, onion, and broccoli pieces to the skillet. Drizzle the sauce over the sweet potato and veggies and continue to cook until the vegetables become slightly tender and begin to soak up the sauce, approximately 5 minutes.
Sweet Potato Stir Fry tips:
- If you don’t have liquid aminos you can substitute it with GF soy sauce but the recipe will no longer be paleo.
- And if you don’t have coconut sugar you can substitute it with brown sugar, but again, the recipe will no longer be paleo.
- If you need to substitute the sesame oil, I would recommend using coconut oil.
- Substitute rice vinegar with apple cider vinegar if needed.
- Other vegetables that go great with this recipe are bell peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, carrots, and sugar snap peas.
- Sesame seeds, almond slices, and chopped green onion pieces are great garnishes!
Thanks for stopping in friends!