This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FamilyPastaTime #CollectiveBias
This gluten-free pumpkin macaroni and cheese recipe is the ultimate cheesy fall comfort food. Gluten-free noodles are cooked in a pumpkin, sage, and nutmeg sauce and just before serving are smothered in gooey cheddar and parmesan cheeses.
Oh my goodness do I have a good one for y’all today! I’ve got a gluten-free pumpkin macaroni and cheese dish that I just have to jump right into because I AM SOOOOOO EXCITED about it!
I absolutely LOVE mac n cheese recipes. Our first one on BHHY was our Spicy Bacon, Mushroom, and Truffle Oil Mac n Cheese and it was a HUGE hit!
Let me tell you all the reasons that I love this dish.
- It’s a one-pot wonder. That’s right, only one pot to clean up afterward.
- It takes only 15 minutes from start to finish. This recipes uses your busy weeknight time very wisely and boils the noodles in the vegetable and spice broth until al dente at which point the ooey gooey cheese is added. I like to boil the noodles in the spices and broth over water because the noodles gently soak up the flavors as they cook. Oh my yum! Plus it skips the whole boil-in-water stage.
- Just a few simple and quick ingredients. There’s no fancy ingredients or long list of need-to-buys from the grocery store. I bet most if not all of the ingredients for this recipe are already in your kitchen.
- It’s a cozy fall-inspired comfort food with stick-to-your-ribs feels. Yeah it gives you the all the fall feels with the warm hints of pumpkin, sage, and nutmeg. Mmmmmmmmm…..
- That cheese though. The ooey gooey cheese never gets old. The warm melty cheddar and that tasty sprinkle of parmesan finish the dish and make it pretty irresistible to not finish off every last cheesy drop.
Tips on making gluten-free pumpkin macaroni and cheese:
- You can use any cheese you like, but the cheddar makes the dish so warm and gooey and delicious that I would recommend having at least a bit of cheddar in the recipe if possible. Other cheeses that are amazing in the dish are fontina and gruyere.
- Use a high quality gluten-free noodle like Barilla® Gluten-Free noodles because so many gluten free noodles fall apart or are grainy in texture. So you will either get mush or a weird crunch and neither is good for macaroni and cheese.
Pumpkin Mac n Cheese
- 12 oz Barilla® Gluten-Free Pasta
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese cubed
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes and parsley to garnish optional
- Combine the noodles, onion, vegetable broth, pumpkin puree, garlic, sage, sea salt, red pepper flakes, nutmeg, and pepper in a large sauce pan and boil until noodles are al dente (about 8-10 minutes).
- Turn down the heat to low and add the cheese cubes and parmesan and stir continuously until the cheese is melted (about 2-3 minutes).
- Serve and top with parsley.
Like I mentioned before, I use Barilla Gluten Free pasta because I like their combination of rice and corn in their product. The combination gives them the wonderful rice noodle flavor and the corn helps the noodle’s texture so it tastes just like real pasta.
They also cook up really quickly and I can get the perfect al dente I want every time. They are ideal for quick and easy meals during the busy fall season and are part of my weekly Target grocery store purchase.
I partnered with Barilla®, a brand I personally recommend to friends and family, for this post. Thank you for continuing to support me, BHHY, and the brands that help make this site possible.