These gluten-free greek yogurt twice baked potatoes are perfectly portioned baked potatoes that are then loaded with healthy creamy greek yogurt, bacon crumbles, spices, and cheese and then baked a second time until the tops are golden brown and crunchy.
How about a fun rendition of a pretty ordinary side dish for that big holiday feast coming up y’all?!?
I picture our big holiday meal with a delicious baked ham, a potato side of sorts, Skinny Broccoli Salad, and carrot cake desserts.
What if I told ya you could make your holiday meal a little crazier with these Gluten-Free Greek Yogurt Twice Baked Potatoes.
How are they crazy you ask? Well… I’ll tell ya.
These aren’t your ordinary boat-shaped twice baked potatoes. Oh no. They are much cooler than that.
They stand up on their ends and act more like muffins than boats.
This means slightly smaller portions (I have a hard time fitting those huge potatoes down my throat, but these are the perfect sized portions), so your holiday eaters can choose if they want to fill up on these bettys (probs) or if they want to try other sides at the dinner table too.
Mind blown yet?
Well, what if I told ya that these are made with greek yogurt and a smaller amount of cheese to give it it’s creamy texture and flavors and not sour cream and gobs of other
New design with a healthy twist. Your mind must be blown by now.
It’s fun slicing off the ends of the potatoes and scooping out the insides, but make sure you don’t scoop out too much or the bottoms will cave in. Guilty.
But even if they become ‘bottomless’, these bad boys still work out just like the others in their pack.
Just handle them a little more gingerly. No worries.
Gluten-Free Greek Yogurt Twice Baked Potatoes
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 3 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 3 stalks of green onion, diced
- 3/4 cup fresh shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt to season
- 1 Tablespoon gluten-free bread crumbs (or crumbled GF croutons, GF cereal, or GF crackers)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Bake the potatoes (once punctured with a fork on all sides) in the microwave for 8 minutes, turning half way through.
- Once cool enough, slice the very ends of the potatoes off, and then slice the potatoes in half (hamburger style).
- Scoop out the inside of the potato halves with an ice cream scooper or spoon and place in a medium bowl, being sure not to get too close to the bottom (or you will go completely through the bottom! Been there!)
- Mash the potato insides and add the greek yogurt, cheese, bacon crumbles, and green onion.
- coat the outside of each potato half with olive oil and salt to taste. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top.
- Place the potato skins in a baking dish and fill the skins with the mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 or until cooked fully.
- Allow to cool a bit before serving, they will be extremely hot. Enjoy!
If you want to prep ahead of time, you can make these bad boys up (up until the point of sticking them in the oven) and store them in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Then just add on a few extra minutes while baking, and voila… mind blown!