A skinny gluten free chicken poppy seed casserole that combines juicy chicken and fresh broccoli pieces in a homemade healthy poppyseed cream sauce, topped with butter toasted cracker crumbles, and baked to golden perfection in 15 minutes!
One of our small group leaders introduced me to chicken poppy seed casseroles a few years ago.
One evening as Alex and I walked into her house for Bible study we both stopped in our tracks the moment we walked in.
I immediately asked what she was making for dinner because the aromas that I was smelling were way too much for anyone person to handle.
The house smelled of crispy baked and buttered crackers that were still melting into creamy chicken pieces in her oven.
When she told me we were having this chicken poppyseed bake I’m sure that I gave her a puzzled look as I had never heard of it before.
But from the smell of it, I was definite game to try it out.
It was creamy and savory. The poppy seeds gave it a little crunch as did the golden baked crackers on top. The thick creamy sauce gave you all the cream-of- whatever comfort food feels.
And that’s the day I fell in love with chicken poppyseed casseroles.
Of course knowing me, I couldn’t just try to recreate her recipe and not try to fine tune it into a skinny version.
So my poor husband (don’t ACTUALLY feel sorry for Alex) has been helping me taste test and tweak this recipe into the ultimate skinny chicken poppyseed casserole that will blow your gluten free socks off.
- Instead of using cream-of-something-soup I created a thick creamy sauce out of almond milk, greek yogurt, almond flour, and gluten free chicken broth. Oh yeah… and a bit of honey to ward off any touch of tart from the greek yogurt.
- I obviously also added in a bunch of fresh broccoli that most chicken poppyseed recipes don’t use. You can omit the greens and sub in an extra chicken breast in it’s place if you want to.
- If you need to keep this recipe gluten free please make sure that all of your ingredients are GF. Here are my go-to gluten free crackers that make an amazing topping for this dish (affiliate).
There’s something about the creamy bites of chicken and broccoli mixed in with crisp poppyseeds and the amazing crunchy and soft butter crackers baked on top that is more than addicting to say the least.
- 3 cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 TBSP almond flour
- 3/4 cup plain almond milk
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup GF chicken broth
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBSP poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2-1 cup gluten free crackers, crushed
- 2 TBSP melted butter
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375*F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the olive oil and minced garlic until the garlic starts to brown and become fragrant. Add in the flour until very clumpy and then slowly add in the almond milk while stirring continuously.
- Add in the greek yogurt, chicken broth, worcestershire sauce, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper. Stir occasionally while the sauce warms, starts to bubble, and thicken (about 5+ minutes). Once thicken, add in the cubed chicken and broccoli pieces, and stir to coat.
- Place the mixture in the baking dish and top with cracker crumbs. Drizzle the melted butter on the very top and bake for 15 minutes or until the top of the casserole starts to turn a nice golden brown and the broccoli is cooked to your liking. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with parsley, and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315