Georgia Gold Chicken Recipe is both gluten free and completely baked and is KFC Inspired. Lightly breaded chicken pieces are dunked in a homemade tangy honey mustard barbeque sauce and then baked to gluten-free perfection!
I’ve got the bread coating on my chicken down I could probably do it in my sleep.
It’s the honey mustard barbecue sauce that takes me some experimenting with to get down.
So let me give you the backstory on this one…
A few weeks ago Alex saw a KFC commercial for their Georgia Gold Chicken Tenders and decided immediately that he had to try them.
Trying to be a good wife, I decided to grab him those golden nuggets on my way home from some errands so he could get his craving satisfied.
When I handed him the box, he downed the tender strips, licked his fingers and proudly said….
“You could so much better.”
Um excuse me?????
Did I just hear a challenge?????
So my plans for the rest of that Saturday turned into a KFC-Inspired taste-testing experiment. Yard work would just have to wait.
Triple-dog-dares and food challenges trump housework any day.
And I be damned, by the end of the night I had not only made the house smell AH-mazing, but I kicked this golden challenge’s butt.
Hubby said that this Georgia gold chicken recipe was better than the inspired recipe.
So not only are these chicken tenders drizzled in tangy honey mustard bbq sauce better tasting that KFC’s version according to Alex, they are baked, gluten free, and use low carb ingredients, therefore are much healthier for you too!
Plus you don’t even have to leave your house. Stay in your yoga pants, make this Georgia gold chicken recipe, and THEN do your weekend housework. Mmmmk?
Georgia gold chicken recipe tips:
- Oven vary so much, so adjust cooking times so that your golden chicken tenders are fully cooked and your Georgia gold sauce starts to thicken. That’s when you know it’s time to take them out of the oven.
- Then you need to let them sit for a few minutes. They will be waaaay too hot to eat at first and you need to give the sauce a minute or two to thicken up even more.
- Top your Georgia gold chicken with fresh parsley or ground black pepper for a fancy looking garnish, red pepper flakes if you want to go spicy, or some cheese crumbles … well, because cheese.
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts, cubed or sliced as tenders
- 1.5 cups brown or white rice flour
- 1.5 cups cornstarch
- 1/2 TBSP garlic powder
- 1/2 TBSP onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
Tangy honey mustard barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup GF bbq sauce
- 4 TBSP honey
- 2 TBSP yellow mustard
- 1 TBSP GF dijon mustard
- 1/2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 350*F. Place the coconut oil in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish and evenly distribute the oil over the bottom of the dish.
- In a medium bowl, add the beaten eggs. Set aside.
- In a large ziploc bag, combine the cornstarch, onion powder, 1/2 TBSP garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix well. In another large ziploc bag, pour in the rice flour. Set these two bags aside.
- Dip the cubed chicken pieces into the egg and allow the excess to drip off. Then place the chicken pieces into the bag with the rice flour, zip the bag up tightly, shake the contents until evenly covered in the flour and then remove and place the pieces inside the bag with the cornstarch mixture and do the same shaking technique as before.
- Place the coated chicken pieces into the baking dish and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to allow the chicken to cook and crisp evenly.
- While the chicken is baking, combine the BBQ sauce, honey, mustards, and vinegar together in a medium bowl.
- Once the 45 minutes is up, pour the sauce overtop the chicken and stir to make sure that the chicken pieces are entirely covered in the sauce.
- Cook for another 10-20 minutes (stir after 10 minutes) or until the chicken is fully cooked and the sauce starts to thicken and turn into a glaze.
- Remove from oven and serve while still warm. The sauce will thicken slightly more while cooling.
Ovens vary greatly. Cook until chicken is cooked thoroughly and the sauce begins to thicken.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 people
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 485
Looking for more delicious chicken tender recipes? Try these:
- Skinny Spicy Quinoa Chicken Tenders
- One-Pan Baked Gluten Free General Tso’s Chicken
- One-Pan Baked Gluten Free Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Sriracha Lime Chicken
Thanks for stopping in friends!