These baked parmesan sweet potato fries are amazingly easy to make with simple ingredients. The hints of savory garlic and parmesan blend perfectly with the sweetness of the sweet potato pieces!
I am NOT a fan of sweet potatoes, and that means a big fat NO to baked sweet potato fries too. My mind has classified them as Do Not Eat.
What is a Do Eat are these Baked Garlic French Fries!
That is, until a good friend and lifestyle blogger extraordinaire, shared her take on baked sweet potato fries. I was still hesitant after reading her recipe post because sweet potatoes are gross, ehrmiright?
I guess the reasoning behind the disgust in sweet potatoes comes down to a mind game. My mind sees and thinks potato, my mouth reads sweetness, and then my mind freaks out…’now what they hell is going on?!? ‘
So I was stepping out on a limb and trying something that I knew I didn’t like (because I know that they are much better for you than other potatoes) was a struggle.
And there you have it folks…the struggle IS real.
I tried 2 Cats & Chloe’s sweet potato recipe and then tweaked it and then tweaked it again, making my own version of a crispy and flavorful side dish treat that I LOVE!
So did the dinner guests we had when I tried this recipe for the first time. And so does Hubby. Sometimes I am balls-y. You’ll love ’em too!
Baked Parmesan Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced into spears
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 TBSP parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F, and then lay the sweet potato slices on a large baking pan.
- Sprinkle the olive oil on the potatoes and spread (I use this silicone basting brush to "paint on the oil").
- Sprinkle the garlic salt and minced garlic on the fries with the same brush and technique.
- Bake for 40 minutes, flipping the fries halfway through the baking process. (If you want a crisper fry, broil for a few extra minutes before taking the fries out of the oven)
- Immediately sprinkle the parmesan and parsley on top of the fries.
I used the Pampered Chef Crinkle Cutter to easily cut my potato spears. Sweet potatoes aren’t the easiest things to cut (dang they’re hard!) so at least use a sharp knife and watch out for those fingers y’all!
These little guys tend to shrink up a bit. So my baking pan was consumed by orange sticks before placing the potatoes in the oven. Once they were cooked, the potatoes size was cut in half.
Just giving you an idea if you are planning on feeding large groups of people (Oh hey backyard BBQ season…it’s nice to see ya again!).
Depending on your oven these little guys may still be slightly soft after baking unless you broil them at the end.
I don’t like mushy soft fries, so that made me nervous the first time I tried these.
I like mine almost to the point of burnt and very crispy. But it’s a simple fix with the broiler y’all!
What’s your favorite way to eat sweet potatoes? I’m all about trying new savory sweet potato recipes!