This spinach tomato spaghetti squash recipe combines fresh fluffy spaghetti squash and tops it with an easy and quick spinach and tomato sauce that’s so garlicky and savory, the perfect combination of a healthy tasty meal!
Ever have one of those meals that you just throw a whole mess of ingredients in together and hope for the best?
I can’t be the only one who wings it from time to time.
I have days where I’d rather eat a meal consisting of a spoonful of peanut butter with a side of sandwich meat and maybe a few pickles then go to the market and pick up things for a legit meal.
A few months ago, Alex was on his way home from work and called to tell me that he was headed home.
We usually discuss the evening’s menu while he’s stuck in Atlanta traffic.
On this particular day I told him that I had no idea what to cook for dinner…
He usually would respond back with “yeah…I have know idea either babe”.
But on this occasion, he mentioned tossing some roasted seasoned tomatoes in with some sautéed spinach and topping it over some juicy chicken breasts.
I told Alex that he was a genius and that it sounded easy and delicious.
I was game to try it.
I made the dish and it was delightful, except…. except that it needed a little more gusto.
I tried the recipe again recently and added spaghetti squash with pesto, hoping that it was the gusto that the initial recipe needed and that it wasn’t too many flavors meshing together in an awful massacre.
It was so good!
That one time, that one time that I winged it, that one time that I winged it and got it right, that time was awesome!
Now it’s on repeat in our house 🙂
Pesto Spinach Tomato Spaghetti Squash
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes italian style
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 1 spaghetti squash halves length-wise
- 2 chicken breasts cubed
- 1/4-1/2 cup pesto depending on taste
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- Cheese for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350*F. Drizzle the cut side of each spaghetti squash half with olive oil and place in a large baking dish (cut-side down) with the two chicken breasts. Cook for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- While the squash and chicken is baking, place the spinach in a large skillet and sauté over medium heat until the leaves start to wilt, approx. 2-3 minutes. Add in the stewed tomatoes (liquids included) and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes, until about 50% of the liquid has evaporated.
- With a fork, scrape the insides of the spaghetti squash, producing spaghetti like noodles. Add the pesto to the noodles and plate the pesto'd noodles.
- Place the cooked chicken on top of the noodles, and then the spinach and stewed tomato mix. Top with cheese and enjoy it messy!
Want some other easy and delicious spaghetti squash recipes? Check these out:
- Spaghetti Squash Taco Bake
- Pesto Chicken Spaghetti Squash
- Basil Goat Cheese Spaghetti Squash
- Spicy Peanut Spaghetti Squash
Thanks for stopping in friends!