Ginger beer is growing as popular drink mixer (Moscow Mule!), but with “beer” in its name, many people are wondering if the soft drink is actually beer at all and if it is gluten-free.
Table of Contents
Does ginger beer usually have gluten?
No: assuming that ginger beer is actually a fermented mixture of ginger, carbonated water, sugar and yeast, there is no risk to a person on a gluten-free diet.
These typical ingredients also have a very low risk of cross-contamination. But since there is no fully standard recipe, celiacs and people sensitive to gluten should always read the ginger beer ingredient labels & allergen statements before drinking it to make 100% sure that the particular brand is indeed fully gluten free.
What is ginger beer made of?
Ginger beer used to be an alcoholic fermentation of ginger with water and sugar. Today it lost the alcohol and is most often made with carbonated water, sugar, and fermented ginger. The latter comes from ginger syrup, ginger puree, or ginger extract. Lemon peel or citric acid is often added for taste and conservation.
Ginger beer come in many variants, such as diet/sugar-free, dry, with added flavoring, probiotics etc. Always read the ingredients & allergen statements!
It’s spicier than ginger ale, a variant that is more a ginger-flavored soda.
What are the best gluten-free ginger beer substitutes?
If you want to be 100% sure to drink a perfectly gluten-free ginger beer, and play around with fermentation, there are tons of homemade ginger beer recipes floating around. Make sure you use a yeast that is free from gluten-free contamination though!
Brands that are guaranteed gluten free
- Barritt’s (Original Ginger Beer, Sugar Free Ginger Beer)
- Brooklyn Crafted (Ginger Beer)
- Bundaberg (Ginger Beer, Diet Ginger Beer)
- Cock’n Bull (Original Ginger Beer, Diet Ginger Beer, Cherry Ginger Beer)
- Crabbie’s (Ginger Beer)
- Fever-Tree (Ginger Beer, Light Ginger Beer)
- Fentimans (Ginger Beer & Muddled Lime)
- Old Jamaica (Ginger Beer, Light Ginger Beer, Extra Fiery Zero Sugar)
- Reed’s (Ginger Beer, Zero Ginger Beer, Premium Ginger Beer)
- Regatta (Classic Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer, Light Ginger Beer)
- Stoli (Ginger Beer)
- Zevia (Ginger Beer Mixer)