These 5 minute greek green beans use fresh cooked green beans that are drizzled with a quick homemade greek dressing and topped with fresh tomato and feta cheese crumbles. They are great served warm or cold and are perfect for all those summer parties!
I seriously have a love-hate relationship with green beans. I used to Hate green beans with a capital “H”. Absolutely hated them. Then I decided to expand my horizons as I got older (and waaay more mature…. or whatever) and try my hand at green beans. Come to find out, I hate mushy, soggy green beans but love fresh al dente green beans. Anyone else like them with a little crisp left in them?
I know I know. Who really cares! Well, I do, because my new found love of green beans led me to this amazing 5 minute greek green bean recipe. When I first started eating green beans on the regular, I tried all different flavors and garnishes, I couldn’t get enough of them. I tried cooking them in olive oil, coconut oil, topped with different nuts and cheeses, I cooked them sweet, I cooked them tangy. Every way I could think of, I tried.
And my conclusion to my very scientific green bean experiment? My conclusion is that I have about 5 go-to green bean recipes that are always a hit. One of these top 5, is this 5 minute greek green beans. As the name suggests, it takes 5 minutes so thats a major score. After boiling the beans for about 3-4 minutes, I slip them in an ice bath while I make up the quick greek dressing full of oil and vinegar and garlic, basil, and oregano. I then drizzle the dressing over the beans, top with some fresh tomatoes and feta cheese (or whatever cheese crumbles you have in your fridge, sometimes goat cheese is my go-to substitute), and a sprinkle of black pepper. And this recipe is easily adaptable for larger parties and large orders (because there will be those who want seconds and thirds of this dish!), just double or triple the ingredients.
These 5 minute greek green beans are a great party dish because these are awesome served hot or cold. The longer these bad boys marinade in the dressing, the more flavor they deliver. And you’ll look pretty darn cool struttin’ into your next party with these fancy looking veggies in your hands!
And to keep on the Greek veggie bandwagon, check out Healthy Seasonal Recipes’ 15 Minute Greek Cucumber Salad for even more Greek flavored goodness!
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed and halved if desired
- 1.5 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 TBSP white or red wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 TBSP minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- black pepper for garnish
- Place the green beans in a large pot of boiling water and allow to boil for 3-4 minutes (depending on how tender you like your green beans)
- Directly after boiling, pass your green beans into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process (AKA to not allow your green beans to overcook into a mushy mess)
- Combine and mix the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and basil together in a small bowl.
- Remove the green beans from the ice bath, drizzle the dressing over top the beans, and then sprinkle with tomatoes, cheese crumbles, and black pepper.
- Serve warm or cold and enjoy!