This one-pan baked gluten-free sweet and sour chicken recipe is 100% gluten-free and not fried in a frying pan for even a second. Tender pieces of chicken are lightly breaded in a homemade spiced coating and then drizzled in coconut oil and a sweet and tangy sticky sauce and then baked to perfection.
Everyone has crazy busy weeknights, right? I get it. I get home way past what should be my dinnertime, overly hungry with no idea of what to eat. All that I want to do is quickly order some chinese food for delivery and hear that doorbell ring and in walks a bag of hot and delicious (and gluten-free) sweet and sour chicken. Oh wait….. that was just a dream? That isn’t going to really happen? What? Well now you can have that amazing meal right at home using only one pan, a meal that is 100% completely baked and not fried, and is all gluten-free! No, now you are not dreaming.
I’ve got your busy weeknight craving covered with this one-pan baked gluten-free sweet and sour chicken recipe (AND…. now I have a fan-freaking-tastic one-pan baked gluten-free General Tso’s chicken recipe that will knock your socks off too)!
The chicken pieces are first coated in rice flour and cornstarch, then baked in coconut oil. Then the chicken is drizzled in a sweet and tangy onion and garlic sauce and then baked again until the drizzle turns into the most amazing sweet and sour glaze. I like to serve my one-pan baked gluten-free sweet and sour chicken with yummy brown rice or quinoa that I have in my pantry and some fresh steamed broccoli. Then it’s just time to enjoy (and then go to bed! What a long workday!).
One-Pan Baked Gluten-Free Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1.5 # chicken breast cubed
- 1.5 cups brown or white rice flour
- 1.5 cups cornstarch
- 1/2 TBSP onion powder
- 1/2 TBSP garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 7 TBSP GF ketchup
- 1 cup sugar can use coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 TBSP GF soy sauce
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup yellow onion finely diced
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat your oven to 350*F. Place the coconut oil in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish and evenly distribute the oil over the bottom of the dish.
- In a medium bowl, add the beaten eggs. Set aside.
- In a large ziploc bag, combine the cornstarch, onion powder, 1/2 TBSP garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix well. In another large ziploc bag, pour in the rice flour. Set these two bags aside.
- Dip the cubed chicken pieces into the egg and allow the excess to drip off. Then place the chicken pieces into the bag with the rice flour, zip the bag up tightly, shake the contents until evenly covered in the flour and then remove and place the pieces inside the bag with the cornstarch mixture and do the same shaking technique as before.
- Place the coated chicken pieces into the baking dish and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to allow the chicken to cook and crisp evenly.
- While the chicken is baking, combine the ketchup, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, 1.5 tsp garlic powder, yellow onion, minced garlic, and pepper flakes together in a medium bowl.
- Once the 45 minutes is up, pour the sauce overtop the chicken and stir to make sure that the chicken pieces are entirely covered in the sauce.
- Cook for another 10-20 minutes (stir after 10 minutes) or until the chicken is fully cooked and the sauce starts to thicken and turn into a glaze.
- Remove from oven and serve while still warm. The sauce will thicken slightly more while cooling.