I have been craving pad thai for the longest time (as I sit here eating pad thai leftovers, which by the way, are fantastic in their own right!). Hubby and I used to go to a thai place across the street from us, but that ended quickly when the Hubster ordered a curry dish and didn’t feel well for days. So of course, you want the things you can’t have… and that delicious pad thai torments me every time I drive by (which is about 5 times a day!).
Then I had an epiphany…why don’t I just make my own pad thai? I found my old recipe card from college and revamped it a bit (making it spicier of course!) to make a spicy beef pad thai that Hubby and I just fell in love with (and yes, it is better than that restaurant across the street!). It’s better tasting, guaranteed to be gluten-free, and cheaper than takeout!
This beef pad thai is a combination of sweet and spicy, with tangy and salty flavors seared in as well. There’s a bit of brown sugar and ginger in the pad thai sauce, as well as sriracha and serrano peppers for spice (and other veggies from our garden!), making this fusion of flavors nothing but delightful.
This spicy beef pad thai recipe takes only 20 minutes to prepare and cost me less than $20 for the ingredients (the beef cost only $8.54!) to prepare large servings to a party of 6.
I can’t believe that it took me this long to try my hand at a revamped old favorite. I wonder what other recipes I have forgotten about in that recipe card box of mine? I will file this recipe under “amazing cheap date night meals” for sure!
I like to marinate the beef in honey and soy sauce (and topped with diced serrano peppers if you want the ‘spice’) for a few hours in the fridge. The more inexpensive beef slices soak in the flavors and tenderize it at the same time.
- 1 pound thinly sliced beef, I used cuts of sirloin tip steak
- 1 cup shaved carrot slices
- 3/4 cup sugar snap peas, cut into 1 inch sections
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 4 inch green onion stalks, cut into 2-3 sections
- 1/3 cup GF soy sauce* + 2 TBSP
- 2 TBSP fresh honey
- 1 serrano pepper, diced
- 1 in package of pad thai ** or linguine if you are a pinch, rice noodles
- 1 TBSP coconut oil, can substitute sesame oil here
- 4 large eggs
- 3 TBSP sriracha sauce
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- chopped peanuts for garnish
- Place the beef slices in a large bowl and coat with 2 TBSP soy sauce, the honey, and the diced serrano pepper slices. Place in the fridge for a few hours to marinate if possible (even 30 minutes helps!)
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions.
- While cooking the noodles, heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over med-high heat and sear the beef (about 1 minute on each side).
- Add the eggs to the skillet and let them scramble. Add the veggies and allow to cook for 1-2 more minutes, or until the veggies are crisp-tender. Add this skillet mixture to the cooked noodles.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix 1/3 cup soy sauce, sriracha, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger together. Pour over the noodles and beef and mix well. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Serve hot and enjoy it messy!
**These are the pad thai rice noodles that I use and highly recommend them.
Join me in partying with these lovelies!