This gluten-free creamy cilantro lime chicken recipe combines the fresh flavors of cilantro, lime, and coconut, with the juiciness of baked chicken and veggies, perfect for warm weather! Your taste buds will think they were on a tropical island!
So who else thinks of tropical islands when thoughts of lime, coconut, and cilantro are tossed around? Maybe it’s just this cold weather (that shouldn’t be happening since it’s now officially spring!) that has me dreaming of sandy beaches and umbrella drinks! Freezing temps in Atlanta??? So rude! Well, no matter what the temp it is outside, this creamy cilantro lime chicken is a hot tropical treat!
I like to make this dish spicy by cooking the sauce with a full teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes. If you’re not into spicy foods, just take out the pepper flakes and enjoy a milder rendition of this fresh tropical delight. Also, I use coconut oil, but if that isn’t in your pantry, avocado oil or olive oil would work just fine, I just love the sweetness of the coconut with the lime and cilantro! And if you can help it at all, use fresh cilantro and lime juice. There’s nothing better than that combo using fresh ingredients!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup GF chicken broth
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 TBSP fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp cracked red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 TBSP fresh lime juice
- 2 TBSP butter
- 4 TBSP heavy cream
- slices veggies, chopped, like bell pepper !
- Place the oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat until melted. Place the chicken breasts in the hot oil and cook for about 5 minutes on each side. Place the chicken on a plate and set aside. Preheat your oven to 400*F.
- Place the broth, onion, cilantro, pepper flakes, garlic powder, and lime juice in the skillet with the chicken drippings. Allow to boil down until there is approximately 1/4-1/8 cup of liquids left.
- Lower the heat on the skillet to low and add in the butter and cream, stir and allow the butter to fully melt.
- Add in your veggies. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked. Place the broiler on high and allow the tops of the chicken and veggies to brown and bubble, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Carefully take the hot skillet out of the oven and enjoy after allow the dish to cool slightly.