Egg Drop Noodle Soup + Kimchi Sauce is a one-pot gluten free and dairy free recipe that’s ready in under 30 minutes! Protein-packed with spinach and simmered eggs, flavored with a kimchi-like sauce, and bundled together with quick rice noodles.
I have been talking about this egg drop noodle soup for forever now. Ever since putting it in writing in the 2016 Top 10 Post I have been meaning to share it with y’all.
Problem is is that we love this soup with it’s flavor packed kimchi sauce and it’s oodles of noodles. We love it so much that we don’t ever leave enough of it for me to photograph.
Okay, so confession time: It’s not real kimchi in this recipe …. I haven’t found the patience to actually make it at home… so a kimchi-esque sauce does the job for this egg drop noodle soup.
A mighty fine job.
There’s no shame in a kimchi wanna-be when it’s this easy.
Egg Drop Noodle Soup + Kimchi Sauce
- 1 TBSP sesame oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 5 cups GF low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 cups baby spinach or kale
- 1 TBSP lime juice
- 1 TBSP GF hot asian mustard (or regular mustard)
- 1 TBSP GF chili paste (or sriracha)
- 1 TBSP rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground anise
- 4 ounces GF rice noodles
- green onion, salt and pepper for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the oil, onion, and garlic over medium heat until golden brown and fragrant. Add in the broth until just simmering.
- Slowly add in the beaten egg with a fork. ***See tips on this step below***
- Add in the spinach, and lime juice and allow the soup to simmer and the spinach to wilt.
- While the spinach is wilting you can make the kimchi sauce. In a small bowl mix the hot asian mustard, chili paste, vinegar, red pepper flakes, ginger, paprika, and anise together. Once the spinach is wilted add the kimchi and rice noodles to the soup.
- Allow the noodles to cook in the simmering soup for a few minutes before taking the soup off of the heat. Serve your soup topped with green onion, salt and pepper and enjoy!
Egg drop noodle soup + kimchi sauce tips:
- How to add in the egg: While the soup is barely simmering, slowly add in bits of the beaten egg into the soup using the prongs of a fork to add a small amount at a time. Quickly stir the egg after every forkful. The egg will almost immediately cook once in the warmed soup.
- Rice noodles differ quite a bit. Cook according to package instructions, keeping in mind that you may want to shorten the cooking time because the noodles will continue to cook once the soup is taken off of the heat. I usually take my soup off of the heat 1 minute after the noodles are tossed into the simmering soup. We like our noodles al dente.
- If you have real kimchi, forgo my kimchi sauce and add it into the recipe if you’d like.
Thanks for stopping in friends!