This slow cooker beef lo mein tosses sliced pieces of beef into an easy asian-inspired sauce and turns it into a delicious spicy garlicky noodle-y gluten-free dish that’s perfect for those busy weeknights! Even the pasta is cooked in the Crock Pot!
When I was in college and broke like no joke, I always went looking for those grocery finds that were on super sale that I could freeze for later (ahem…. “crock pot” kind of later).
So whenever I saw beef on sale I would snatch it up and either use it right away or freeze it for an awesome and affordable crockpot dish.
Sometime in my undergraduate years, I perfected this slow cooker beef lo mein with my budget-friendly beef in tow, and the sale beef that I had purchased and stored away turned into juicy, tender, melt in your mouth bites.
If you had come over to my place in college… you would have been eating well my friends (at least on lo mein days…. maybe not ramen days or cheese and cracker nights… did I mention that I was a broke college kid for far too long?)!
Today, I still shop for beef on sale at the grocery store for crock pot recipes and I still make this slow cooker beef lo mein but make it completely gluten-free now that I know about my gluten issues.
And on top of making it an affordable meal, it’s stupid easy to make.
Seriously just toss in the beef and sauce in the morning, go to work or school, come home and drop in some veggies and cook some noodles before you are ready to eat, mix, and enjoy!
Easy enough for a college kid to do, and worth the very few dishes that are there for clean up!
- 1-2 pounds of beef chunks of your choice
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup shaved carrot and/or snow peas
- 1 cup bell peppers, chopped
- 12-16 oz . GF spaghetti pasta
- For The Sauce:
- 3 cups GF chicken or beef broth
- 1/3 cup GF soy sauce
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 TBSP GF chili paste
- 1 TBSP GF oyster sauce
- 2 TBSP dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, optional
- Line your slow cooker with a slow cooker liner for easy clean up.
- Place the beef pieces into the bottom of the cooker.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a mixing bowl and then pour on top of the meat, covering all of the pieces thoroughly.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours (or on high for 4-5 hours) or until the beef is cooked thoroughly.
- One hour before before serving, place the pasta in the bottom of the slow cooker underneath the beef, add the vegetables on top and turn your slow cooker to low (if it's not already there).
- Check your noodles at 45 minutes to see if they are to your done-ness. Cook for up to 15 more minutes if need be.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370
Slow cooker beef lo mein tips:
- Make sure all ingredients are gluten free if you are looking at a fully gluten free dish.
- Gluten free noodles need to be watched more carefully than regular spaghetti noodles. They are not to be overcooked as they tend to get mushy as a general rule. Start watching them after 30 minutes and every 10 minutes after that just to be on the safe side.
- To make a gluten-free noodle selection even easier, try using delicious rice noodles! Rice noodles will only need to be placed in the crock pot for a very quick few minutes. Refer to the package instructions for the exact timing that the rice noodles should be cooked for.
- If you’d like your beef lo mein sauce to be a bit thicker, add 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch to the liquids and allow to simmer when you add in your veggies.
Thanks for stopping in friends!
The links on this page may be affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links helps support BlessHerHeartYall.com without any additional costs to you.