This gluten free red wine pasta + garlic basil goat cheese sauce is the perfect quick and fancy date night recipe that’s ready in under 20 minutes! The pasta is cooked and stained in red wine and then tossed in a creamy garlic basil goat cheese sauce.
What better way to have a date night-in then to make a meal in 20 minutes with just a few simple ingredients.
It doesn’t hurt that you combine red wine, pasta, and goat cheese.
All three are great on their own, but together…. they pretty much win at life.
I used Barilla® Gluten Free spaghetti pasta from Kroger and partially cooked it in a boiling bath of red wine and water.
The pasta will have a red tint at this point.
Then the pasta is transferred to a skillet with warm garlic, oil, and red pepper flakes. It’s topped with more red wine 🙂
You will then cook the pasta until it’s completely done and then top with goat cheese and basil, mix it all together to create a creamy sauce, and then devour it while it’s warm.
If you want to try this red pasta with a different cheese, I’d highly recommend it with parmesan. The pictures with the rigatoni noodles is made with parmesan and is incredibly delicious too!
This red wine pasta dish is perfect for a quick last minute date night.
It’s also perfect for Valentine’s Day which is coming up (that was your reminder 😉 ) with it’s red pasta and enough red wine leftover to fill a glass or two at your dinner table.
- 2 cups red wine, divided
- 6 cups water
- 12 ounces Barilla Gluten Free Spaghetti
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 2 TBSP chopped basil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- In a large skillet over med-low heat, heat the oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes until the garlic is fragrant and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- While the garlic is heating, bring the water and 1 cup red wine to a boil in a large pot. Once boiling, toss in the pasta and cook for 3 minutes. Remove the pasta (keep 1/2 cup of the cooking liquids) and place it in the skillet with the sauteed garlic along with another 1 cup red wine.
- Turn the heat up to medium and allow the red wine to reduce and the pasta to fully cook and turn a purple shade of red (about 6-8 minutes). When the pasta has 1 minute left to cook, add in the goat cheese, basil, salt, and the 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquids.
- Stir all together and allow the cheese to melt and form a creamy sauce. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 people
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 500
Red wine pasta + garlic basil goat cheese sauce tips:
- I would recommend using your favorite type of red wine for the recipe. Every type of wine will give off different hints of flavor so use your favorite! (I use a cabernet)
- All gluten free pastas are different so cooking times may vary from the cooking times posted in the recipe card if you aren’t using Barilla Gluten Free spaghetti. I like to use this brand because it is high quality and certified gluten free and is great tasting without compromising it’s texture. It cooks up quickly and doesn’t clump into one big sticky brick like so many GF pastas do. My date doesn’t even know that the red wine pasta that I make for date nights is gluten free, it’s that good.
- I grab both my Barilla Gluten Free Spaghetti and Fettuccine pastas from the pasta aisle in Kroger. You should be looking for a dark blue box with a light blue ribbon on the front.
- Do not burn the garlic when heating it in the oil or the flavor will be a bit bitter. Heat it on med-low heat and stir occasionally until it becomes golden in color. Your kitchen will smell amazing!
Thanks for stopping in friends!
I partnered with Barilla Gluten Free, a brand I personally recommend to friends and family for this post. Thank you for continuing to support me, BHHY, and the brands that help make this site possible.