Your patriotic labor day party should be easy, inexpensive, and go off without a hitch. Here are the tips and tricks to pulling off the ultimate backyard labor day party.
Labor day is right around the corner and I don't know about you but I love celebrating it. It's one last ode to summer. It's usually full of summer's grilled barbeque favorites, the last of summer's fresh fruits and vegetables, and one more excuse to bring out summer's most fun red, white, and blue party decor.
Here are the best patriotic labor day party ideas and tips:
- Start up that grill. This is a no-brainer. Your guests are going to assume that there is going to be grilled foods if they are invited to a backyard labor day party. Make sure that you offer at least two choices of meat (for those picky meat eaters) and a grilled veggie option for any vegetarians. How about grilled BBQ chicken kabobs and an extra plate of grilled BBQ bell peppers and onions for your veggie option.
- Anticipating kids joining in on the fun? Make sure that you have kid-friendly foods to offer them. How about throwing some hot dogs or hamburger patties in the mix?
- Don't forget those healthy options. Offer your guests multiple healthy options for their plates. A large salad tossed in a bowl quickly won't set you back but maybe 30 seconds of prep time. How about some pretty grapes in a dish? Sliced watermelon is another easy and healthy finger food that's great at parties.
- Make it really obvious where all servingware and eating utensils are. This includes napkins and drink cups too. Make it very easy to pour or take condiments.
- Space it out. Set aside an area in front of the drink area for guests to put down their things and allow them the space to pour and manage their drinks without juggling things and therefore preventing spills.
- It's all in the details. Throwing in some holiday-themed details will go noticed and pull the whole party together. Bring out all of your red, white, and blue tableware, dish towels, even ribbon to add touches to your patriotic labor day party. All of these little details I found in my home just waiting for the right time to be used. Any red details not used at this party can be used in another patriotic party theme, pasta bar, or even for a Christmas party. Any blue or white details can be reused for a fantastic winter party spread!
- Head to your grocery store for any last minute decor items specifically for a patriotic labor day party about 1 week - 1 day before your party. I picked up these cute little flags at my local grocery store on super clearance for $0.50 the week before Labor Day.
- Bring out those late summer florals. Don't want to pick up an expensive bouquet for your party? No worries, I didn't either. I grabbed the last few late summer backyard blooms that had survived our summer drought here in Atlanta. After putting them in vases I felt like the arrangements needed a little more umph. I grabbed some wispy weeds and some green sticks and stuck them in around the florals for a pretty and whimsical wildflower look.
- Don't be matchy-matchy. Remember, you do not need to have every piece of your labor day party matchy matchy red, white, and blue. Especially towards the end of summer, I like to bring in some yellows and purples to match the late-summer vibe.
- Don't forget to put out those american flags! No matter how much red, white, and blue used at your party, a flag will tie your theme together. There's nothing more American at a patriotic labor day party than a few American flags flying high!