Oh my gosh y’all! I have made a new favorite gluten-free dish and just had to share it right away! I had something else planned for this post, but I had to back that up and share this gluten-free sweet and spicy garden pasta recipe with y’all instead.
I had recently stumbled upon Simply Suzanne’s and her Pappardelle with Spring Vegetables recipe which had been hanging out in the back of my mind. I decided to try it out, with my own twist on it of course, and it quickly became my new favorite under 30-minute meal!
Okay, so here are a couple of my new favorite dish’s star-worthy positives: One, it’s delicious, which you probably assumed is the case since I am ranting and raving about it. The sweet and tangy and spicy (from the crushed red pepper flakes) is a great combo for this light pasta dish. Two, it took me 30 minutes to put this dish together. That’s great news when you are running late for a concert! Three, this pasta and vegetable combo is great cold, hot, or in-between and it’s great as a main dish by itself or topped with your fav protein (we tried it with grilled chicken breasts and it was AHH-mazing).
I chopped up a whole mess of garden veggies and sautéed them quickly in a bit of butter and olive oil, just until the vegetables started to lose their crispiness.
After boiling up some gluten-free noodles, I added them to the veggies and an easy mix of vinegar, olive oil, and garlic.
While the pasta was cooking, I put together the sweet mascarpone sauce by simmering this sweet Italian cheese with some garlic, cayenne pepper, and chicken broth.
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1 ½ inch sections
- 1 tablespoon green onion, diced
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, cut in half or in thirds
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup carrots, shaved
- 10 oz . noodles, A bit less than a typical 12oz. package
- 3 oz . mascarpone, easiest to work at room temperature
- 2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- Ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 cup arugula
- Sesame seeds as garnish
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions, until al dente. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, mix together the vinegar, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and 1 teaspoon of the garlic. Toss the cooked noodles into the bowl with the vinegar mixture.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until the butter melts. Add in the carrots and asparagus for 2-3 minutes, until they start to loose a bit of crispness. Add the red onion and sugar snap peas and cook for another 2 minutes, until all veggies have softened. Add the veggies to the bowl of noodles.
- While cooking the veggies, heat another skillet with 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil until the butter is melted. Add in the chicken broth, green onion, cayenne pepper, the rest of the garlic, and red pepper flakes. Once simmering, add in the mascarpone and turn down the heat to med-low. Allow the cheese to melt into the broth and simmer the liquids until the mixture has slightly thickened, approximately 5 minutes.
- Pour the thickened cheese sauce over the noodle mixture. Toss in the arugula, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy it messy!