Gluten-free pineapple chili quinoa sausage combines the sweetness of juicy fresh pineapple with the spice of chili sauce and spicy chicken sausages mixed with chopped vegetables all on a bed of fluffy quinoa. It’s the perfect tropical-flavored sweet and spicy weeknight meal!
For such a simple recipe, this gluten-free pineapple chili quinoa sausage recipe really packs a punch of flavor.
With all of it’s healthy ingredients, it really doesn’t taste healthy one bit.
More like erhmagurd delicious and filling.
I really like using gluten-free italian-spiced or andouille chicken or turkey sausages for this recipe and fresh pineapple slices really do make everything better, am I right?!?
So be sure to splurge and buy a whole pineapple instead of the already canned and sliced variety.
The quinoa base really gives this meal some texture and helps meld some of the sweet spice in every bite.
You can make this dish as spicy as you wish, and I like mine the spicier the better!
Bring on the crushed red pepper flakes and the chili paste y’all!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons chili paste, or sirracha-like paste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken or turkey sausage, sliced (I like to use garlic-seasoned sausage for this recipe)
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 cup mixed veggies (I use bell peppers, carrots, water chestnuts, sugar snap peas, and/or green beans)
- 1 1/2 cup pineapple
- red pepper flakes to taste
- In a medium pan, boil the quinoa in the water on med heat. Once boiling, cover, turn down to med-low heat and let cook until water has evaporated (about 15-20 minutes).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, use the olive oil to sauté the sausage until almost done, then add in the pineapple slices and lastly add in the veggies to cook until just cooked.
- At the same time the sausage is cooking, make the pineapple chili sauce by heating the pineapple juice in a small sauce pan on medium heat until reduced by 25%. Once reduced, add in the chili paste, stir, and cook for 1 more minute.
- Once everything is cooked, plate the dishes by adding the quinoa to the plate first, followed by the sausage and veggies, and lastly the pineapple chili sauce. Top with red pepper flakes if ya want more spice. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 40mg Sodium: 592mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 7g Protein: 12g
Remember, a little bit of the pineapple chili sauce goes a long way!