Chicken taco avocado boats are a quick and tasty healthy alternative for your party or appetizer table. It's all the flavor of tacos with all the healthy benefits of avocados!
With the big game getting closer and closer, I am trying to decide on final finger foods for my game day party.
There are so many options that I could go with.
But, going along with my healthier/lightened up menu for the month of January, I decided to try out a taco bar and put an interesting twist in the mix!
No more tortillas or hard taco shells (don't worry, this dish has already been "bro-approved" so your party won't be ruined by snobby health foods) here.
Today I am working with avocado boats, with diced taco-seasoned chicken breast meat, chopped tomato, onion, and jalapeno, shredded cheese and of course a dollop of sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)!
I start with halving avocados, taking out the avocado pit, spooning out a bit of the flesh, and filling each boat with taco meat and fixings.
And to make matters even better, I use the extra avocado flesh from the boats to make the best guacamole to dollop on top of these beasts!
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon BHHY's taco seasoning
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- 4 Hass Avocados, halved with pits taken out
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- shredded cheese, sour cream, and red pepper flakes for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil and then cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked thoroughly. The last 2 minutes of cooking the chicken, lower the temperature to medium-low and sprinkle the lime juice and taco seasoning on the chicken.
- While the chicken is cooking, scoop out about ½ of the flesh inside each avocado half using a spoon. (I use these "extras" for guacamole!)
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, place the chicken meat inside the avocado boat, quickly sprinkling with cheese to allow it to melt. Sprinkle with tomato, onion, and red pepper flakes, and dollop with sour cream. Enjoy it messy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 86mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 6gSugar: 1gProtein: 14g