Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MazolaHeartHealth #CollectiveBias
Bang Bang Chicken bakes lightly breaded chicken quickly in the oven, bathes the chicken in a sweet sauce and drizzled in a dreamy creamy bang bang sauce! Smart swaps like baking in Mazola® Corn Oil instead of frying the chicken are used for a a better for you meal! A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com.
Best Bang Bang Chicken Recipe:
This chicken recipe is the epitome of easy Chinese dinner with the savory creaminess of a simple bang bang sauce.
This recipe is completely gluten-free and has alternatives if you need it to be dairy-free and / nut-free too.
Baked Chicken Ingredients:
- Mazola Corn Oil
- chicken breast, cubed
- rice flour
- arrowroot starch, or cornstarch or tapioca starch
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- liquid aminos, or gluten-free soy sauce
Bang Bang Sauce:
- plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- Sweet chili sauce
- sriracha sauce
Why corn oil?
Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family.
Using this heart-healthy oil for this recipe is perfect because February is Heart Health Month!
*See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health.
It has a variety of uses include baking, grilling, sautéing, stir frying, or mixing up a marinade or dressing.
A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil.
To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com
How to Make Bang Bang Chicken:
- Preheat your oven to 425*F. Place Mazola Corn Oil in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish and evenly distribute the oil over the bottom of the dish.
- In a medium bowl, add the beaten eggs. Set aside. In a large ziploc bag, combine the arrowroot starch, 1/2 TBSP onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix well. In another large ziploc bag, pour in the rice flour. Set these two bags aside.
- Dip the cubed chicken pieces into the egg and allow the excess to drip off. Then place the chicken pieces into the bag with the rice flour, zip the bag up tightly, shake the contents until evenly covered in the flour and then remove and place the pieces inside the bag with the arrowroot starch mixture and do the same shaking technique as before.
- Place the coated chicken pieces into the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to allow the chicken to cook and crisp evenly.
- While the chicken is baking, combine all of the sticky honey garlic sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl. Once the 30 minutes is up, pour the sauce overtop the chicken and stir to make sure that the chicken pieces are entirely covered in the sauce.
- Place any chopped vegetables you would like cooked with the dish into the baking dish and stir. Cook for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and the sauce starts to thicken and turn into a glaze. While the sauce is glazing on the chicken, make the bang bang sauce by combining the Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce, and sriracha sauce in a small mixing bowl.
- Remove from oven, drizzle with bang bang sauce, and serve while still warm. The saucy glaze covering the chicken will thicken slightly more while cooling.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store leftover bang bang chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
I highly recommend storing the extra chicken and the extra sauce in separate airtight containers so that the sauce doesn’t make the breading on the chicken soggy after sitting on the breading in the fridge.
There were a list of swaps/changes to make this dish healthier!
- I used corn oil for the benefits I mentioned above. Reduce saturated fats and cholesterol in your meals easily with simple swaps, such as substituting butter with Mazola Corn Oil.
- This dish is baked and not fried
- The bang bang sauce is made using non-fat Greek yogurt and not heavy creams
How to store leftover Bang Bang Chicken:
Store leftover baked chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I highly recommend storing the baked chicken and the bang bang sauce in two seperate airtight containers in the fridge.
How to reheat your leftovers:
To reheat your leftovers, place leftover chicken on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 60-90 seconds covered with a loose-fitting lid or paper towel.
Check out Mazola for more delicious recipe ideas.