This gluten-free slow cooker skinny loaded baked potato soup will fill you up with all its’ thick and creamy comforts! Hearty potatoes, garlic, and a sprinkle of bacon leave everyone wanting more!
Do you have that friend that when you walk into their home you have to check the fissures of your mouth for drool because their kitchen always smells that AMAZING?
I have that friend. I walk in. BOOM. And I’m immediately salivating.
I’m pretty sure that Vegetarian Momma’s Creamy Corn Soup would make my house smell this way. I still need to make that drool-worthy soup!
Well this past time I was over to this friend’s house she was cooking a uber-savory-smelling loaded baked potato soup in her slow cooker. After admitting to trying to play it cool but really wanting
a big bowl full the entire crock pot full of the soup she sweetly texted me the recipe.
The recipe was from Food.com and it was AWESOME!
So awesome that I made it my challenge over a rainy dreary weekend to remake the recipe into a skinny version.
And guys…. it worked!
I’m not sure how Alex fit as much of this soup into his belly as he did. It’s so good (and now way healthier!).
- I took out the heavy cream and replaced it with almond milk.
- I removed the majority of the salt and replaced it with garlic powder for taste.
- I changed up the ratio of potatoes to broth to make it creamier.
- I decreased the amount of butter used and swapped the chicken broth for low sodium broth.
- I kept the cheese as it is…. because you don’t mess with cheese 🙂
Slow Cooker Skinny Loaded Baked Potato Soup (Gluten Free)
This gluten-free slow cooker skinny loaded baked potato soup will fill you up with all its' thick and creamy comforts! Hearty potatoes, garlic, and a sprinkle of bacon leave everyone wanting more!
- 4 large baking potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 3 cups GF low sodium chicken broth
- 1.5 tsp minced garlic
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 TBSP green onion, diced
- 4 TBSP bacon crumbles
LIne your slow cooker with a liner and add the potatoes, onion, broth, minced garlic, butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper together and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
Mash the potatoes to your liking (see "tips" section below for more info) and add the almond milk, cheese, green onion, and bacon crumbles. Stir and allow to melt.
Serve your skinny loaded baked potato soup with extra cheese, green onion, or bacon crumbles! Enjoy!
The skinny loaded baked potato soup couldn’t be any easier to make either.
Toss in some potatoes, chicken broth, and spices and let simmer. Your house will smell amazing.
Once simmered, you mash the potatoes to your liking (the more you mash the thicker and creamier the soup!) and melt a bit of cheese and almond milk in to make it ultra creamy!
Slow cooker skinny loaded baked potato soup tips:
- If you need the vegetarian version of this recipe, swap out the chicken broth for vegetable broth. Then delete those bacon crumbles (but feel free to add in a meat-free alternative).
- If you need a dairy free version, add in your favorite shredded cheese alternative and replace the shredded cheese in the recipe 1:1.
- For a thicker more creamy soup you will want to mash up the potatoes more. If you like a more liquid soup with large chunks of potatoes then I would suggest not mashing the potatoes much at all.
Thanks for stopping in friends!