I am usually the cook that’s in the kitchen for most meals, but there are a few exceptions for good reason. My hubby makes the best stuffed bell peppers (the first meal he ever made for me while we first started dating!), he can mix up a mean cocktail under pressure, and the most delicious decadent creme brûlée a girl could think of. Sometimes…every-so-often… my hubby’s in the kitchen and it’s the best when it happens!
Some would say that I am a connoisseur of sorts when it comes to creme brûlée, and those individuals would be right. It’s basically the only dessert on restaurant menus that I can (usually) eat with my food allergies, plus I just love cream and sugar together … who doesn’t?
Hubby's In The Kitchen: Creme Brûlée
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 quarts hot water
- 6 ounce ramekins 7 or 8 . size
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place the cream and the vanilla extract into a pan and boil over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat, cover the pan, and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the sugar and and the egg yolks. Blend well.
- Add in the cream mixture a little bit at a time, stirring continuously.
- Place the ramekins into a baking pan and then pour the liquid mixture into the 6 ramekins that are now in the baking pan.
- Pour hot water into the baking pan to allow the water to reach 1/2 up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the mixture is just starting to set (it's still jiggly in the center).
- Refrigerate the mixture for 3 hours-2 days.
- Remove the creme brûlée 30 minutes before browning the tops.
- Divide the remaining 1/2 cup sugar on top of the 6 ramekins and smooth along the surface of each.
- Using a torch, crystalize the sugar on top of each creme brûlée (will turn an amber-golden brown).
- Allow a few minutes to pass before you dive in to the most amazing creme brûlée you will ever eat!
Recipe NotesUsing a torch can be dangerous. Please allow someone who is comfortable around these devices to use this while cooking this dish!
I am linking up with these lovelies!