This chicken pasta in garlic basil butter sauce recipe makes for an easy gluten free dinner for busy weeknights. Pasta and chicken is tossed with the vegetables you already have in your kitchen and drizzled in a sizzling light and creamy garlic butter sauce with extra hints of basil and lemon!
Our family calls this dish just chicken pasta.
This chicken pasta recipe calls for chicken breasts nestled in some al dente gluten-free pasta. It sounds incredibly easy because it is. You basically can’t mess it up even if you get distracted during crazy weeknight evenings. I get it. Been there.
The garlic basil butter sauce is amazing and is truly what makes this dish so spectacular.
The savory butter soaks into the vegetables, chicken, and pasta. The minced garlic adds so much flavor that the only other thing that is needed is some chopped fresh basil.
Like a lot. As long as you love basil. And since I don’t know a single soul who doesn’t, then everyone should put at least a few tablespoons of the fresh herb in this simple sauce.
A splash of lemon juice for a little hint of zest completes the sauce.
To make the buttery sauce go further you can add in more butter…. or you can add in a ladle or so of pasta water to coat the entire dish.
I like to use reserved pasta water because it’s already warm, full of that delicious pasta flavor, and is slightly thickened, especially if using gluten-free pasta.
Vegetables: Use whatever vegetables are in your kitchen.
My family loves it when I use mushrooms and asparagus spears in our chicken pasta.
This time around I snuck some more green in there with some chopped bell pepper.
Chicken Pasta in Garlic Basil Butter Sauce
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts, halved or 4 small chicken breasts
- 10 oz gluten free pasta
- 3 cups vegetables chopped
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 3 TBSP fresh basil chopped
In a large pot, cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions. While your pasta is cooking, make your chicken and sauce. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add in chicken.
Cook chicken until fully cooked, flipping when necessary to cook both sides. Add in the butter, garlic, chopped vegetables, and lemon juice. Cook until the vegetables are bright and start to become tender, about 4-5 minutes.
Add in the chopped basil and stir for another 30-60 seconds. If you want more sauce add in up to 1/4 cup of reserved pasta water to your sauce. Once the pasta is cooked and drained, add it to the skillet with the chicken and vegetables. Toss the pasta to coat it in the sauce. Serve the chicken pasta hot with extra fresh basil and parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy!
Chicken pasta cooking tips:
- If you are a sauce lover and want more of your chicken pasta sauce make it stretch a little bit further by adding in more butter or by adding in some warm pasta water.
- Use whatever vegetables you have on hand for this chicken pasta dish. Zucchini, green beans, even jalapenos are great alternatives for this recipe.
- Need this meal done in under 20 minutes? Sure thing! Use fully cooked chicken and add it in when you are adding in your chopped vegetables.
- Don’t have fresh basil. Bummer, but also no biggie. You can use dried chopped basil. Use up to an extra tablespoon if you feel that your final sauce needs a bit more basil.
- Leftovers are stored best in an airtight container in the fridge. To reheat, place in the microwave or on the stovetop with 1-2 tablespoons of extra butter or olive oil.
Thanks for stopping in friends!