Here are 17 legit reasons to workout at night. There is an added reason #18 but it’s pretty much a given. Night owls read on to see that you are not alone on this one!
Let me start with saying that a lot of these reasons are backed by studies. And yes, there are many other papers that show the opposite results from these studies.
So…. read up buttercup. Inform yo’ self.
There are many reasons below that aren’t studies at all but are really really good non-science-y excuses as to why it’s a good idea to workout at night (like less crowds and releasing the stress of the day).
I just wanted a big ass group of reasons as to why it’s a good idea to workout at night. Maybe one day I’ll make a big list of reasons why it’s a good idea to workout in the AM, who knows.
So here’s my list of 17 legit reasons to workout at night!
17 legit reasons to workout at night:
- You’re already a night owl. If you are already up late at night and do your best work at night, why not workout during your most productive hours too?
- You’ve had a stressful day and you need to destress. Take out your stress at the gym.
- It’s when your buddies are free to hang out with you so bring your accountability partners along and have fun with it.
- Kill two birds with one stone. Have to choose between your favorite show and working out? Nope. No you don’t. Do both at the same time because most gyms are going to have TV’s for ya.
- It can be the time of day that is the most relaxing and your mind is clear. You already have your work done, appointments have been made, house has been cleaned.
- It may make it easier for you to sleep and get zzzz’s or sleep more soundly according to multiple studies. Other studies show the opposite results though.
- You aren’t rushed to finish your workout. Take your damn time.
- It can replace a late-night craving. Instead of eating out of that ice cream tub, workout and you’ll forget about the ice cream and that craving will
- The crowds will be gone. No more fighting or waiting for those machines to open up. #Hooray #HappyFeelings
- You are not a morning person. That’s me….most of the time.
- Because science and because muscle function and strength peak in the PM according to this source and according to this source.
- Low body temp. Your body temp is at its lowest in the evenings so that means you can see increased power and improved performance according to this source.
- Muscles are more flexible because they have been warming up all day from use
- You’ll make healthier after work decisions. Deciding to go to the gym instead of the bar, a movie, or a restaurant is definitely be a healthier option.
- An escape plan. Need an excuse to get out of a boring event or party? Blame it on your evening Zumba class that you’ve already paid for and committed to.
- Your mornings are hectic or already booked. You literally don’t have time to workout and waking up at 3am to fit one in my is not going to work. See #10 above.
- You won’t be getting ready for work in a gym.
- Just because you like it better. Do you. If you like working out at night best then that’s what you should do.